Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sexuality+Science=Controversy

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that at the dawn of a new century, in this day and age, our culture is still so fearful of what we don't understand.

I was reminded of this a million times today, fielding questions from all over the world (literally) about Pherotones.

As a scientist, I thrive on doubt. Not knowing, and yet striving to know, that is in my DNA. (OK, I mean not literally, metaphor alert...) Anyway, I respect doubt. I welcome it. I expect it. I embrace it. I celebrate it. It fuels me.

But there are others in my field who exploit it. They take what is unknown, and use it as a club against those of us who are trying to actually discover things, and move science along. They use the language of the unknown, like "lack of evidence" or "Unsubstantiated" or "only anecdotal" to stifle creative science.

Welll you know what? An absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and even one anecdote is worth exploring.

I mean are we scientists anymore? Or are we only technicians, bureaucrats, engineers, administrators of guarded, esoteric knowledge?

I pledge my life to the scientific method, but I reject the notion that scientific inquiry should be a glacial process. As some of my students would say, that's not how I roll. If my colleagues and I find an enterprising way to use the internet to conduct our research, then real scientists should celebrate that.

Apart from the cynics (not to be confused with the skeptics, whom I adore), today was wonderful. It opened my eyes even wider to the promise pherotones hold. It is a big wide world out there, and everyone has a stake in my research.

A lot of questions today were about my love life, and I understand that as well. I want to air some of this, in a tasteful way, on this blog.

For those curious about my status, I would put it as unmarried, but unavailable. I am involved at the moment, but it's complicated.

And obviously pherotones and my work play a huge role in that complexity.

Too lazy to do my links tonight, but tomorrow for sure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous stefanos said...

interesting ...
very interesting ...

19 January, 2006 01:57  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home